What activities do you have?
- Orientation meeting
- Mom’s Retreat
- Fall Picnic
- Fall and Winter parents’ meetings
- Field Trips
- 4th Friday’s
- Graduation Ceremony
- Senior year events and activities
- Workshops for new homeschoolers
- Workshops on teaching methods, how to teach writing, etc.
- Group classes (vary year to year)
- Kindergarten graduation ceremony
- Christmas Party
- Drama Club
- Spelling Bee
- Every 2 years – trip to Dauphin Island (2015 DI year 5th -12th)
- Every 2 years – Space Camp
What are the homeschooling laws in Alabama?
Alabama laws require that you submit school attendance and that you have a legal covering. For the most comprehensive information go to http://www.hslda.org/laws/default.asp?State=AL
Do you have an athletics program?
- We do not offer an athletics program at our school but several area homeschool covers offer sports and allow other groups to participate. Football, basketball, soccer, volleyball, rowing, and dance are just a few examples. Also, Whitesburg Baptist Church offers the Upward Program for several sports as well as a karate class and there are community T-ball, baseball and soccer teams.
Can you tell me about your yearly meetings?
- We meet in May for orientation for new families and for our new school year with special sessions for high school moms and upcoming 8th grader moms. There is a time for encouragement and time for all the new business for the year.
- We have a fall meeting to kick off our new year. This is a shorter evening meeting where we have a devotional and take time to submit required forms and money for yearly activities. All information for upcoming classes and activities is given out at this time.
- We have a winter meeting early January to begin our second semester. This is a meeting very similar to our fall meeting.
How can I teach High School classes?
- There are multiple answers to this question:
- There are several curriculums that are offered as online classes.
- There are local classes that your student can attend and juniors and seniors can dual enroll in local colleges and universities or online schools that offer dual enrollment.
- Several curriculums have excellent teacher’s guides to assist you in instructing the course.
- Parents with expertise in a course (e.g. physics, history, etc.) may offer to teach a class in the course if board approved.
Can my child get into college?
- Absolutely! Most colleges require school transcripts and an ACT or SAT test score (which are scheduled multiple times in the year.) You can register online for a convenient test location and date. At WBCS we provide your student with a school transcript meeting standard academic requirements that has gained our graduates entrance into schools all over the nation.
Do you offer standardized testing?
- We require standardized testing yearly ranging from 3rd grade- high school.
Do you have a kindergarten program?
- We do have a kindergarten program. Beginning the 2014-2015 school year it will come under WBCS. Please see Enrollment, Kindergarten section for details.
Do you have a preschool program?
- We do have a program called Bright Lights but you do not have to be a member of WBCS to be a participant in this program.
- Bright Lights is the WBCS pre-school program offering families and their young children an opportunity to gather for holiday parties, field trips and play times as well as learn about the rewards and advantages of the home schooling experience. WBCS kindergarten families are welcomed as well. Families do not have to be a member of WBCS to participate in the Bright Lights program. There is a small semester fee and moms are expected to help with planning and execution of activities.
What do you offer beginning homeschool families?
- We offer new families the opportunity to sit down with other seasoned homeschool families to get a feel of how to begin. We walk alongside you as you begin your first steps into homeschooling.
- The administrator is readily available to answer questions and provide support and encouragement.
- We highly recommend HSLDA’s website. http://www.hslda.org/earlyyears/Checklist.asp
What are 4th Fridays?
- From August – October and January –March we gather together, on the 4th Friday of the month, for a fun morning of “show and tell.” All families are invited to bring their lunch and have their students share something with the group (science project, art project, story they have written, play an instrument, sing, etc.) and enjoy a time of fellowship and encouragement.
When does the school year start?
- The school year for WBCS starts on June 1st and ends May 31st. During that period the student will acquire the required number of days to meet state guidelines but there is no requirement as to when the schooling must occur. Many families choose to school a few days a week during the summer in order to take more time off around the holidays or to take a vacation in the fall or winter.
Why should I choose WBCS for my home school cover?
- We are a cover whose mission is dedicated to the support of families who are seeking to educate their children in the strength and admonition of the Lord and who will provide encouragement, support and accountability. If that is what you are seeking, please consider WBCS.
Who can I contact for more information?